3 Comments

  1. Brenda, you have hit the bullseye!

    If I use myself as an example when I write. And that writing has let me process the various matters that assail me so that I can file them in compartments that I may now open if and only if I choose to do so. I opened one of those today. A boy I was hugely enamoured of when he and I were teenagers has his 62nd birthday today. I have chosen to open that compartment, to wish him well in my thoughts, and not to dwell on what was never going to happen between us.

    I write the fiction of the relationships I wish I had been able to have as a teenager. They let me live them with rose tinted spectacles.

    I write my own experiences, often here for Bob’s public, usually when I am angry. This helps me by sharing my “terrible misfortunes, most of which have never actually happened” and reducing the power they once held over me.

    I write in answer to others. Their opinions allow me to formulate different answers, and those answers may be in public, but are for me.

    I write so that others may either try to avoid my path, a path that I have made extremely hard for myself, and that others on similar paths may see that the path need not be followed to the end. In so writing I have steered myself to new paths, almost all better than the one I was insisting on walking along.

    I also listen, and do so before I write. I reserve the right to misinterpret what I have heard, though!

    Sometimes I even get it right!

    • Brenda Berg

      Tim, Thank you!
      I’m so glad that you totally understand my point of view and found yourself in it. Writing is a huge tool for our mental health and I believe it is the best way to deal with all misfortunes and anger. And yes, I also tried to write about things which were never going to happen and… what’s strange… some of them had really happened later.
      How great that you share your experience with others.

      • For me, Brenda, there are two reasons for writing, major ones. Both of them are to help me gain my own peace of mind. At least 70% of the reason for writing them down is to get my thoughts into an order that I understand. Writing them down crystallises them, and lets me see whether I’m correct or not. The remaining percentage, 30% or so, is that, while a “trouble shared is a trouble halved” is not correct, sharing a trouble often enough helps me to see that does not have the power it once had. When I share my troubles enough I start to get hold of the fact that they are no longer as great as they were once.

        Now, I’m in danger of rambling! I wonder if that is one of my troubles :)?

Comments are closed.