One example of a usual 24 hour time period… burning thru the day…
Are you caught on the hamster wheel of life?
- wake… start to think (worry) about what needs your attention today
- go to bathroom/toilet for ablutions… think aimless thoughts
- shower/bath… more aimless thoughts and concerns
- brush teeth… aimless thoughts
- get dressed… gents, same leg first in trouser each time!
- breakfast… prepare and eat without giving any thought to the food
- check smartphone, get online, turn on TV and possibly the radio too!
- absorb the negative stories of the day… get in car and drive to work (same route each day), more aimless thoughts, get stressed, bored or both
- arrive at work… following forgetful journey, get same drink from same place, say same things to same people… and then gossip some!
- work… thinking of the last meeting, the previous conversations and run-ins with colleagues, bosses, etc., and thinking of the future, holiday, what to eat for dinner, how is that invoice going to get paid, wonder if significant other is going to leave, how will you cope…
- Eat at the same place… with same people, and gossip and complain just a bit – assuming you do actually remember to stop for lunch!
- Leave work… get in car, take same journey, meet same issues that wind you up – just want to get home.
- Arrive home… fail to notice and appreciate ‘home’
- grunt to significant other… sit down and exhale forcefully, and complain about YOUR day!
- read the paper… wait for dinner, or prepare dinner
- consume dinner… again failing to appreciate the food, the colours, the textures, the taste; what was its journey to your plate? (No, not the kitchen to dinner table!)
- Wash up (maybe)… and endure yet more meaningless thoughts.
- Watch TV… soaps perhaps?
- Brush teeth and go to bed… worry about next day, and make sure, in your head, you have the next day worries ‘set’.
Image credits: Wheel by Quinn Dombrowski